Friday, January 21, 2011

I is a gradjut student

Well, why not? Directly across the hall from my PR office is the office and class space for the Master of Science in Publishing program at University of Houston-Victoria.

It's a forward-looking program, especially for a small university. They do a lot of publishing of experimental prose and have acquired a couple of small presses. I'm looking forward to learning more about the book biz, and seeing what's happening on the digital front.

I have ordered books for the two classes I'm taking -- Style & Editing and Advanced Publishing. We're using the Chicago Manual of Style in one class, and looking at InDesign Type, plus a wood type, fontsy book for the texts. We'll be working with InDesign CS5, for which I am SO GLAD, because I have only used Microsoft Word since September, and that'll drive a man nuts.

It'll take me a while to finish, but I could teach some classes once I have 18 hours under my belt. It's a growing university and an inventive (also growing) program, so there's no telling what I could end up doing. It's part of a cool, new journey and I'm excited about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment