Friday, April 15, 2011

The 'dean' of South Texas letters

Still the coolest part of my job is getting to interview all the visiting authors who come as part of the American Book Review Reading Series. This week, I talked with Rolando Hinojosa-Smith, the "dean" of Mexican-American letters in Texas. Along with Don Graham, he teaches the Life & Literature of the Southwest classes at the University of Texas, which were begun by the legendary J. Frank Dobie. Hinojosa writes in English and Spanish, has penned over 20 books, and travels extensively being a Texas ambassador for the writing arts.

He and I are continuing our conversation before his visit here next week since I told him I was from the same town as George Sessions Perry, whose "Hold Autumn In Your Hand" he uses in his class. Looking forward to getting to visit personally with this man, the gentleman scholar.

http://www.uhv.edu/car/newswire/release.asp?id=1114

No comments:

Post a Comment